A new look at cooking and home decorating...with an attempt to add more greens to the plate, more vegetarian options & hopefully lots of new ideas to explore

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Farmers Market


I must confess that there have been many occasions where my organic free-range chicken eggs have been delivered to me via pea pod truck. Not this morning (actually its coming later today-please don’t tell). This morning bright and early I packed everyone into the car and drove over to the local farmers market. I am infinitely pleased with my find. We quickly got out of the car (into the very chilly morning air) and headed over to the first table.

I found a beautiful array of vegetables and, low and behold a box, just one box of
zucchini flowers. I have searched high and low for these things all summer and finally they appear. I grabbed them up and started to plan their preparation. I will stuff the centers with cheese and nuts then fry them until crisp as they do in Southern Italy.

The next table we came upon had a wonderful array of freshly baked breads. We picked up a brioche and baguette. The baguette was crisp on the outside and soft in the center. I am quite finicky when it comes to baguettes and must tell you that this was one of the better – outside of Paris- baguettes that I have tried.

Then we passed buy a table with honey and fresh goat cheeses. The honey will make for a delicious French honey loaf of bread. There are hundreds, if not thousands of variations of the French honey loaf. Most are quick breads, filled with wonderful spices such as cinnamon, cloves or nutmeg. It is a perfect autumn bread and delightful any time of the year for small children at teatime.

The next table had tomatoes, apples, and pumpkins. With a bag of baby chard in my hand I headed home. On the way I thought of a big pot of farmers market soup for the chard. I will make it later in the day, tossing in tomatoes and cannelloni beans. For now though look forward to a piping hot pot of coffee and a buttery wedge of baguette for the perfect morning meal.

No comments: