A new look at cooking and home decorating...with an attempt to add more greens to the plate, more vegetarian options & hopefully lots of new ideas to explore

Saturday, August 18, 2007

The end of August


Well, we are nearing the end of august. The weather is noticeably cooler and breezy this morning. I welcome the change in season but realize there is a lot to be done before the end of the month. Winter items need to be brought from storage and laundered. Checking must be done to see if items still fit, which is always a tough task when you have little friends. Also, I start to think about planting bulbs. In my garden space I always look forward to the arrival of spring bulbs popping up out of the ground after a long winter.

In keeping with my attempt to simplify cooking this month, I would like to post a photo of my potato ricer. It’s a great tool for making mashed potatoes as well as Gnocchi. Yesterday, I actually did make gnocchi. It is by far one of the simpler pastas type items to make. All you really need to do is rice the potatoes, mix in the ingredients and form the gnocchi. I am serving them with pesto sauce. By the way, it is a great time to make and freeze pesto for the winter months.

A week ago, someone was asking me about olive oil. Olive oil has become a kitchen basic and so I thought I would post some of my findings about buying and tasting olive oil.(look for the post All about Olive Oil)

Finally, my Heirloom tomatoes have ripened and I will be posting a recipe for Heirloom tomato salad. If you do not have Heirlooms, simply substitute the best tomatoes you can find.

No comments: