A new look at cooking and home decorating...with an attempt to add more greens to the plate, more vegetarian options & hopefully lots of new ideas to explore

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Anja's Asparagus

This simple asparagus Hors D'oeuvre was passed around at a baby shower- I loved it because it was easy to eat while standing and drinking a cup of Coffee. It tasted good and looked pretty to, which is about all that you can ask for from cocktail food.

Anja said: I don’t remember if I told you because I spoke to several of the ladies yesterday about the wraps but the funny thing is that it is basically wonder bread and canned asparagus! Ok, here it goes…

1 can asparagus
1 large loaf of white bread (like Wonder or Sunbeam)
1 stick of butter
grated parmesan cheese
dill

Cut the crust off the bread. With a rolling pin, roll each piece of bread till flat. In a small frying pan, melt a stick of butter. Place grated parmesan cheese on a plate. Roll up one asparagus in a piece of bread (starting on the bread’s angle), then roll it in the melted butter and then in the cheese.Put it on a cookie sheet (the sheet should be covered in aluminum foil).
Sprinkle all the wraps at the end with dill and bake at 350 for approx. 20 minutes.

Lisa, a couple of notes: The original recipe called for thin slice wonder bread but I can’t find that anymore so I roll the pieces really flat. I tend to use better parm (while I don’t grate it fresh but I buy freshly grated) because I think the end result is more tasty and the dill I use is dried although I’m sure you could try fresh. So easy, they always look great, everyone wants to try them and they are always a big success! I had a lady once ask me if I was a pastry chef because she was so intrigued with the “dough”! And then people are always amazed when you tell them the recipe!

Love it! Thanks Anja!

No comments: