A new look at cooking and home decorating...with an attempt to add more greens to the plate, more vegetarian options & hopefully lots of new ideas to explore

Monday, July 28, 2008

Cooking, cooking and more cooking

I am just about to finish another summer reading book The Sharper Your Knife, The Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn. The book is about a woman, who looses her job, then enrolls at the le Cordon Bleu cooking school in Paris. It is a joy to read through the story of her journey, as she goes form a corporate job to a cooking student fulfilling her dreams. A fun summer read.

A few days ago I made poached pears. Initially, the plan was to poach the pears, then, create little puff pastry squares. I wanted to layer puff pastry, poached pears and whipped cream for a stunning dessert. It never happened. I poached the pears, they turned out delicious and we ate them as is. Then yesterday, I took a cooking class at Sur la Table and saw another use for poached pears. In a tart! The poached pears were thinly sliced and baked into a delicious tart with an almond cream filling. It was love at first bite. I am happy to share with you my recipe for poached pears so you can create your own ways to use them.

No comments: